Are you looking to make a difference in the world by inspiring and empowering others? We are seeking virtual interns for the Fall 2017 semester who love to use their creativity to tackle new projects through social media. Our mission is to create resources through blogs, social media images and special social media projects to enhance women’s self awareness, leadership and more.
- Spots are limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Deadline to submit applications: FRIDAY September 15, 2017
- The internship will officially begin Wednesday September 27, 2017 and lasts until Friday December 8, 2017
- Once you apply you will be emailed to sign up for a phone or Skype interview if we feel you are a fit for the role.
“Get Smart has helped me learn how to articulate my thoughts and feelings into helpful advice for others. My editing skills have greatly improved, and I feel ready to use them in future jobs, internships, and volunteering.”
~ Emery Taylor Get Smart Intern and Editor
Who We Are
Get Smart Mentoring is an organization run BY young women intended FOR young women. Get Smart is a non-profit tax exempt organization that aims to empower young women to be compassionate and authentic leaders. We are an all volunteer organization and no one is paid. With the use of multiple social media outlets, we are making a positive carbon footprint on the internet through original articles and motivational quotes. Our internship program is an opportunity to be trained and coached in a variety of areas that will help build your resume and prepare you to conquer the professional world.
Get Smart operates both virtually with a growing website and through workshops, speaking engagements and in-person mentoring. We help young women to use social media for good, develop a positive online presence, and build their resume through our mentoring internships. As an intern you will also be supported in your own life, studies, and career path by our staff and volunteers.
Who can apply: We accept interns starting in their sophomore year of college. We take graduate interns as well! You can also intern for us if you are already in the work force but need a shot of positivity and want to build your resume.
Areas of study: Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Human Development, Psychology, Non-Profit, Business, Leadership or Media Relations.
Motivational Social Media Intern
Positions Available: 6 Hours per week: 4-5
- Interns should be strong writers, and will commit to blogging a minimum amount of 2x a month about topics you are assigned or that you suggest and are approved in the areas of women’s empowerment, confidence, communication, leadership, self-growth, social issues, body image, relationships, leadership, career development, and more.
- Interns should be motivated by a passion for helping others and possess a positive and energetic outlook on life to create content that is reflective of Get Smart’s brand.
- NOTE: Our writing style is designed to be mentoring and motivational in nature.
- IMPORTANT: Interns must attend a 60-minute virtual meeting via video chat every other week. The date and time will be selected by the entire group and attendance is mandatory. The time and date will be selected by the group collectively once the team is staffed. It will be held on a WEEKDAY evening (NOT Friday of course!)
- Interns will be matched with one of our mentors and will be guided by them virtually on a weekly basis via phone, email, and/or video chat.
- Interns will be responsible for creating fundraising initiatives, and participating in online fundraising activities to benefit Get Smart Mentoring. This is required of all interns. Please be comfortable fundraising for a great cause!
- Interns will assist with creating traffic on our social media platforms and help spread our online fundraising efforts across various platforms. Specifically, interns are required to participate in sharing, liking and commenting on Get Smart material at least 1x per day Mon-Fri.
- Interns will utilize different online work and task managers to communicate, and all weekly work will be posted on in our private Facebook group
- Interns assist in the creation of content to empower and inspire young women that can be shared online (Blogging/Vlogging, Quotes, ENewsletters, Social Media Images, Videos, etc.)
- College Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors, and Graduate Students with an interest in social media marketing, and web content management and creation for the purpose of empowering young women.
- MUST attend virtual trainings 2x a month and provide a minimum of 2 articles a month for publication on our website.
- Strong written communication skills for the medium of blogging and digital content, previous writing experience preferred.
- Familiar with google drive for organizational tasks.
- Must actively engage in one collective fundraising effort.
- Avid and active social media user, specifically Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. You must be active and comfortable with these mediums to participate. Facebook groups is the main way we communicate with the virtual intern team so you must be able to check Facebook regularly.
- Has active social media followers and and positive social media presence
- Values giving back and voicing their opinions to a wide diverse audience in order to inspire confidence in others. Enjoys helping others grow to be their best self by expressing new ways to live a life filled with happiness, success, and a healthy sense of self.
- Must be awesome. We like awesome.
- Punctual, and committed with a high level integrity. If you are the type to often be late or back out of things, this is not the right fit for you. Integrity is of the utmost importance!
- Must have a positive attitude, excellent work ethic, and a genuine DESIRE to make a difference in this crazy world!
This is an unpaid internship but you receive FREE personal and career coaching during your internship from a seasoned PRO, our Executive Director Stephanie Licata. Course credit is available if your university approves.