Demi Lovato shows strength and confidence in much of what she does. As females of all ages, we can definitely learn a few lessons from her self-confidence, self-love and inner strength. Here are five times Demi Lovato has taught us about these all-too-important qualities:
- When she released the newest girl power anthem: Demi Lovato’s newest song, Confident, just hit the airwaves. With its suggestive lyrics like, “I used to hold my freak back/ Now I’m letting go/ I make my own choice/ Yeah I run this show/ So leave the lights on/ No, you can’t make me behave”, it’s clear that Lovato is feeling as confident as ever. She embraces her sexuality and encourages other girls to as well. Her new album, also called Confident, definitely describes how she’s feeling these days. “New chapter, new life, new album, new single, this is a completely new Demi,” she told Ryan Seacrest. “There’s definitely a lot of provocative songs on the album.”
- When she spoke about her problems so others wouldn’t feel alone: Five years ago, Lovato dropped out of the Jonas Brothers Live in Concert Tour to enter a treatment facility for what her reps called “physical and emotional issues.” After leaving the facility, she spoke out about her depression, bipolar diagnosis, self-harm, and her struggle with substance abuse. Tons of her fans credit her speaking out about her troubles as their inspiration for getting help with theirs.
- When she shut down the haters who tried to censor her: Recently she did a cover shoot for Cosmopolitan magazine. When protesters demanded the magazine be wrapped (all issues, not just Lovato’s) because the content and cover was inappropriate, Demi spoke out against them on her Twitter. “I think what’s more important is showing women there’s NOTHING WRONG with embracing their bodies and sexuality. I am confident in my own skin and A PROUD @COSMOPOLITAN COVER GIRL!,” she said.
- When she created her skincare line and “No Makeup Mondays”: Demi started a movement on Instagram called “#NoMakeupMonday” that was inspired by her skincare line, Devonne by Demi. She encourages her fans and followers to post makeup-free selfies and use the hashtag to share how the skin care products have helped people with their skin and confidence. Lovato says she has a passion for skincare and that she hopes the product “empowers people to make the right decisions and to truly learn how important confidence and taking care of yourself is.”
- When she told us beauty has no set definition. For a lot of young girls, it’s easy to be influenced by the media and society into thinking beauty is just looking a certain way. Demi stresses the belief that beauty comes from within and that the most important thing is to love yourself. She has been criticized many times in the media, from being “too heavy” to uploading a “skanky” Instagram picture. She always maintains her confidence and says that if she feels comfortable in her own skin and loves herself, than that’s all that matters. “It’s all about loving and taking care of the only body you will ever have,” she wrote on Instagram. “Cherish it, love it, embrace it.”