Sometimes we all need to be reminded to step back and smell the roses. This is your reminder. It is so easy to fall into the traps the world sets for us. However, we all deserve some fun in our lives! In fact, it makes us better at our jobs. Whether it be school, work, interning, volunteering, or just everyday life, we all need to take a breather.
Forgetting to Have Fun
A couple of weeks ago, I was catching up with an old friend from high school. Since it had been about three years since we had last seen one another, we had a lot to talk about. As we sat there, he asked me what it was I had been doing for fun. For about thirty seconds, all I could do was stare at him and laugh. What IS it that I do for fun? It wasn’t long before I realized that I had fallen into the trap. I have been so focused on getting through school, having a part time job and worrying about the future that I had almost forgotten to have fun. Sure, I had scheduled time to go to a few concerts over the summer, but I hadn’t allowed myself more than a day to let loose; and I would hardly call scheduled time off “letting loose.”
Here’s my challenge to you: let go. Get lost in the moment. Remember what it feels like to be a kid again. For a little while every day, immerse yourself in an activity you truly enjoy. Do something for YOU and only for YOU. I promise, you’ll thank yourself later!
Ideas for Fun
- Find a park! Seriously, who doesn’t love a good walk through a pretty park? Especially at this time of year! Major bonus points if there are swings. Never trust someone who doesn’t still appreciate swinging.
- Craft. Personally, I always find it comforting to have a creative outlet. Working with my hands not only allows me to concentrate on something other than whatever is stressing me out, but the feeling of creating something new is liberating.
- Gather up a few close friends and have a picnic! Yes, this can fall under the “scheduled fun” category, but the memories are worth it. Pick a favorite spot with some friends and spend the afternoon eating, drinking and being merry.
- Take some “you” time. We all need a break once in a while. Don’t be afraid to take an opportunity to allow yourself to relax. Read your favorite book, spend time with friends, family, pets, and loved ones. Allow yourself to soak up the amazing people in your life and appreciate all you have become.
- Forget about things for a little while. I know what you’re thinking. Ignoring responsibility and forgetting about life may not seem like the greatest advice one could offer. However, I am a firm believer that at some point or another, we could all use some serious R&R. Regroup. Recharge. Take the time you need. Your mind and body will thank you for it later.
Hugs, blue skies and harmony!
Get Smart, Get Inspired
Whether you are 14, 19, 23 or a parent/mentor Join our mailing list (we only email 1x a week with something inspiring!) here!
What will they find when they Google you?
Would you like to create a positive online presence? Consider writing for us! Apply here!
Leave A Comment